HISTORICAL OUTLINE OF A PROCESS
The Missionary Institute, with a total of 79 sisters dependant on the Prioress General and her council, was established in 1934, at which time it was deemed necessary to set up certain rules as a general guide at all levels. This is even contemplated in a special chapter of a provisional nature
(Chaptein VIII) on the “Provinces”, where, from the point of view of the Mother Superior and her council, the Congregation should be divided into Provinces. This did not actually occur until more than forty years later.
In 1960, the three first Regions were established: Spain, Portugal and Japan. The Philippines and Taiwan would later follow. The regional vicariates, which were not named by the Curia but by the sisters of each respective region, appeared in 1969. Since 1973, the missions in Portugal which depended directly on the Curia General and which had diminished in number and had less sisters, came to form part of the Vicariate of Spain. In 1981, when the Constitutions were definitely approved, the four regions automatically rose to the rank of Provinces.